Mission Statements of Partner Organizations:
Island Conservation is a science-driven, nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing extinctions and protecting island ecosystems.
The Nature Conservancy
The mission of The Nature Conservancy is to preserve the plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.
Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge
The Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act of 1980 set forth the following major purposes for establishing and managing the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge.
- Conserve the refuge's animal populations and habitats in their natural biodiversity... including, but not limited to marine mammals, marine birds and other migratory birds, the marine resources upon which they rely, bears, caribou and other animals.
- Fulfill international treaty obligations of the United States relating to fish and wildlife and their habitats.
- Provide opportunities for continued subsistence uses by local residents (in a manner consistent with purposes number 1 and 2).
- Conduct national and international scientific research on marine resources (in a manner consistent with purposes number 1 and 2).
- Ensure water quality and quantity within the refuge (to the maximum extent practicable and in a manner consistent with purpose number 1).